Dictum Society congratulates all that were involved in the 2017 SNH Criminal Law Moot!
- Winning Team: Holly Boylan and Adrienna Kisvarda
- Runners-Up: Michael Knight and Natalie Philippe
- Best Speaker: Adrienna Kisvarda
- Honourable Mention: Michael Knight
Grand Final Judges
- Lesley Taylor QC, Foley’s List;
- Dr Theo Alexander, Greens List;
- Mitchell Latham, Lennon’s List;
- Andrew Halphen and Tim Schocker (partners at Stary Norton Halphen Criminal Lawyers)
Director of Competitions: Susan Thomas
Dictum Society is pleased to be presenting Victoria Law School's first ever criminal law moot competition, made possible by Stary Norton Halphen Criminal Lawyers.
The Stary Norton Halphen Criminal Law Moot is aimed at students who have an avid interest in criminal law and would one day like to practice in that area (or you could just be an avid mooter - that's no problem!).
This competition is comparable to the difficulty level of our annual Senior Moot competition. The moot problem is designed for oral rounds to be at an appellate level (Court of Appeal, Supreme Court of Victoria). Two speakers are required in a team, as Senior and Junior Counsel. Two more members can be in a team, as researchers.
It is not mandatory to have prior mooting experience. To be eligible to participate, you must be a VU Law student, current Dictum Society member, and currently enrolled in or have completed the Criminal Law unit.
Please find the moot problem (case), and Rule Booklet available for download and viewing.
If you have any questions, send them through to email@example.com.
- 14 August 2017, 8AM - Registration opens
- 30 August 2017, 11:59PM - Registration closes; Clarification questions due
- 1 September 2017, 11:59PM - Clarifications released; Amendments released (if there is a need for any)
- 5 September 2017, 6PM - Applicant Memorandum due
- 8 September 2017, 6PM - Respondent Memorandum due
- 25 September 2017 - Guest Speaker Seminar
- 25-28 September 2017 - Oral Rounds
You may register to compete by clicking on this link. Please note that teams will be capped at 20 and further applications will not be accepted.